This whole Russian thing is starting to get creepy and the Mango Megalomaniac isn’t even in office yet. The transition of power has turned into a way over the top B-movie plot.
Here are the facts.
- U.S. intelligence has confirmed the Russians preferred the Evil Orange Clown over Hillary Clinton for U.S. President and actively worked to discredit Clinton, thereby helping Trump get elected.
- The Trump campaign team is under investigation by the FBI for possible contact with the Russians during the election campaign.
- The FBI and other U.S. intelligence agencies are looking into a report compiled by a highly respected former British intelligence agent that the Russians have compromising information on Trump’s personal life and finances.
- Trump claims to have no financial interests in Russia but refuses to release the tax returns which would clarify his Russian dealings, or lack thereof. He says he has nothing to hide but defies presidential tradition and hides them anyway. Hmm.
- Trump’s choice for National Security Advisor, Michael Flynn, a man who has dined with Vladimir Putin and worked for the state-owned Russian television network, was in contact with senior Russians the day President Obama gave 35 Russian diplomatic officials 72 hours to get out of the country, a possible contravention of the Logan Act.
- Trump’s pick for Secretary of Defense is a recipient of Russia’s Order of Friendship Medal.
- The outgoing director of the CIA has gone on record to say Trump’s denigration of U.S. intelligence is irresponsible and dangerous.
- For the first time in history a Russian leader has issued a statement defending a U.S. politician.
With all this going on a reasonable person might think the incoming President would want to distance himself from Russia and its murderous dictator. Not so much.
Trump continues to question U.S. intelligence, preferring the word of Putin over his own operatives. Even with Russian interference in the election confirmed, an action which members of both parties are calling ‘an act of war’, he is floating the possibility of lifting sanctions against Russia even as members of his own party advocate for more severe measures.
Are you detecting a fishy smell, yet? Maybe a discolored blow fish rotting on the beach.
Trump and his team appear to be aligning themselves with the enemy while reverting to the age-old tactics of cheaters the world over—shoot the messengers and deny, deny, deny.
Here’s a sampling of the Trump team’s rebuttal over the preceding months, which is in keeping with the grade school style of their leader.
- The DNC hacker might have been a 400-pound man living in his parents’ basement. Or maybe it was the Chinese or North Korea. It could have been a Nigerian scammer with a grudge against the Clinton Foundation or a computer genius in a yurt in far-off Mongolia. Fact: the Russians did it.
- The report on Russia having compromising information is the work of Trump’s enemies and has been proven false. Fact: While it’s true the report was commissioned by Trump’s Republican adversaries during the primaries before the file was taken over by Democrats, the allegations are under investigation and none of the findings have been verified or proven false. The operative who compiled the dossier is in hiding in fear of his life.
- Trump’s team denied that National Security Advisor Flynn was in contact with the Russians until they realized U.S. intelligence had irrefutable evidence to the contrary, including text messages. Fact: Back pedaling furiously, the Trump team admitted Flynn talked to the Russians by phone on the day Obama announced the diplomats’ ousting but, beggaring credibility, insisted they did not discuss the biggest news story of the day. They probably have a bridge to sell you.
Trump acolytes, headed by propaganda minister Kellyanne Conway, maintain there is a widespread campaign orchestrated by sore losers to delegitimatize his presidency. The conspiracy includes an unlikely alliance comprising the CIA, the FBI, the NSA, Hollywood movie people, the media, writers, musicians and all Democrats, especially civil rights icon John Lewis.
The Trumpeting Tower-bound Tweeter jump-started his political career by orchestrating a long campaign to delegitimatize Barrack Obama’s presidency by claiming for years, without proof, that the President wasn’t born in the U.S. Trump doggedly held onto this absurdity until he begrudgingly admitted Obama’s right to the Oval Office late in the election campaign.
This is a man who, when behind in the polls, personified a sore loser by questioning the legitimacy of the voting procedures and then told tens of millions of Americans during a televised debate that he didn’t know if he would accept the election results. He later told a campaign rally that he would accept the voters’ verdict, but only if he won.
Do you believe in karma?
America, you’ve got yourself into a real pickle this time.
The bottom line is if it walks and talks like a pussy grabbing, Russian collaborating, mentally ill, morally bankrupt, double-dealing, financial huckster and conspiracy theorist, well… enough said.
On the bright side, Reality TV fans are in store for great television when their favorite bad actor stars in his impeachment hearing. Bookmakers are putting the odds at 4-1 that Trump will hear the words ‘You’re fired.’ within six months.